VW Camper Family

A camping forum for VW bus and camper owners.

I have been doing some research on how to hook up a 2nd battery for camping. It seems like there are a thousand different opinions on how to do this.  Does anyone out there have a simple straight forward explanation of how to go about this?

Views: 5240

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a schematic for wiring in the second battery, relay, and main battery that I can scan and send to you. It has worked for me, the aux battery is installed in the rear cabinet, 2kw inverter is installed in the wardrobe, the new fuse box and relay are installed under the driver seat.

losey

WOW! If you can send me that I would be much obliged. Thats exactly what I'm looking for.  Heading up to Monarch Park any minute now...just tying up loose ends! Can't wait to put Denver in the rear view. 

Douglas Losey said:

I have a schematic for wiring in the second battery, relay, and main battery that I can scan and send to you. It has worked for me, the aux battery is installed in the rear cabinet, 2kw inverter is installed in the wardrobe, the new fuse box and relay are installed under the driver seat.

losey

Try looking into the dual battery relay kit the Bus Depot offers. Part #1738.

Jeremy,

I have attached two files with the wiring diagram I used.

losey

Attachments:
Thanks Doug and Rick. I got your instructions that you sent, and I will be using them. I appreciate it guys!
how is the battery install going????
I have a second battery hookup in my '78, but I'm not really sure if it's hooked up right. (there's no second battery hooked up now) - I'm not sure if the thing (my technical term for it!)  that's in there is correct. If I post some pics could someone help me decipher it?
post away...someone should be able to help you...

The install is scheduled for "sometime this winter" I have your awesome files at the ready for when I make the attempt.  Thanks Again! 

I couldnt give you any advice, but I'd love to see the pictures anyway! I'm curious. I think its a good topic. 

Gus The VW Bus said:
I have a second battery hookup in my '78, but I'm not really sure if it's hooked up right. (there's no second battery hooked up now) - I'm not sure if the thing (my technical term for it!)  that's in there is correct. If I post some pics could someone help me decipher it?
I've attached some really bad pics I took late last night, with some commentary - hopefully someone can figure it out! The bus does run when hooked up, but I've never tried putting an aux battery in. The first two pics are on the starting battery side, the last one is on the aux battery side.
Attachments:
it appears from the photos that the cable from the center post on the isolator to the alternator is missing.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Big Blue's Driver.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service