VW Camper Family

A camping forum for VW bus and camper owners.

how much should I pay for the 2nd battery installation and wiring?

Hello there! I'm a new owner in the Westy family, although Westies have been in my family for a long time! We just bought an 85 vanagon and want to get it wired with a 2nd battery. I found a really cool local shop that can do it, I was just wondering what a ballpark cost might be for this job (including all parts and labor): http://www.sandiegowesty.com/services-2/rv-battery-power-inverter

Thanks in advance for your responses, I look forward to learning from all of you!

Views: 90

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd guess that if you have all the parts already, and your vans wiring (grounds, existing battery cables) are in good shape that the labor should be at or around 2 hours. Many shops charge from 50-80 USD per hour for labor so somewhere in the neighborhood of 100-160USD.
If you have any tools and inclination, you should think about tackling the job yourself. I am one of the least adept people i know when it comes to electrical work. But, having a good diagram and a mulitmeter can get you through just about anything.

all the best,
brent
http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/
Deal with GO WESTY they are the best and their kit is EASY and inexpensive NOT CHEAP there is a difference. They have been around a long while and are always there to answer questions.
You can do it in no time and if you get hung up give me a ring.
Ruth and Robert,

I take it you put in the GoWesty kit. I was just looking at that this morning, since they extended their 10% off sale.

Did you put in the charger as well? If so, where does that mount?

What about an inverter?

What's involved in re-wiring everything to the 2nd battery? Like the radio, cig lighter, etc?
Thanks!
-Steve
No I bought the exact same 1100w inverter they sell at Go Westy but got it through Sears and saved a bundle since I live in Maui and we have a Sears it worked out much better. The Go Westy kit re wires the sink, 12v on dash, radio, interior lights, and clock. As far as the charger this is a 3rd vehicle only for surfing and beach time though the guys at go westy said since I am not camping more than a few days at a time I am best to just buy a battery charger and top it off (aux battery)overnight and I will be more than fine.
As far as installations my confidence level outweighs my ability but this was very easy and am eager to do more plus they answer a million questions for me without hesitation.
PS I got the battery charger on Craigslist for $15 and it is brand new Die Hard that retails for $$50.

ruth and robert said:
No I bought the exact same 1100w inverter they sell at Go Westy but got it through Sears and saved a bundle since I live in Maui and we have a Sears it worked out much better. The Go Westy kit re wires the sink, 12v on dash, radio, interior lights, and clock. As far as the charger this is a 3rd vehicle only for surfing and beach time though the guys at go westy said since I am not camping more than a few days at a time I am best to just buy a battery charger and top it off (aux battery)overnight and I will be more than fine.
As far as installations my confidence level outweighs my ability but this was very easy and am eager to do more plus they answer a million questions for me without hesitation.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Big Blue's Driver.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service