VW Camper Family

A camping forum for VW bus and camper owners.

Here's a suggested outline for introducing yourself to others in the group. 

Look forward to getting to know you.

Hi, I'm _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (name)

1. I own/drive a VW type .....

2. First VW purchase year

3. Location including country

4. Where you have driven in your VW

5. Where you have camped in your VW

6. Most fun moment(s)

7. What got you started in the VW world

8. What you most love about having a VW

9. What you'd like from this group

10. What you'd like to offer to this group

11. Your personal likes/dislikes or something else about you

12. Are you on Facebook? If yes, please post your name (a copy your page address, http:// ...is best), so we can find each other.

13. Anything else?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Hello everyone,
I'm Carole Brown, owner and driver of the YesWeCan CamperVan, or Dexter (named by previous and first owner, also female).
My VW is a 1971 Bay window Westfalia. 1971 is the last year of the 1600cc engine and small rear lights; first year of disc brakes. A good year apparently.
Currently garaged at friend's home in Millbury, central Massachusetts, USA for the winter. I'm between Millbury and my condo in Provincetown, Cape Cod, which I'm hoping to sell.

In December 2009, I collected my van from the eBay seller (a dealer) and drove 10,000 miles between Oregon and Massachusetts, spending 5 of the 6.5 month journey in California. I camped with other VWs at club events and overnighted free wherever I could; see my blog for where we stayed (http://yeswecanjourney.wordpress.com pages Route, Thanks & Travel tips).

Most fun? So many of examples. I guess it's the SLOW DRAG race at the Spring Fling event held by the Orange Empire Bus Company near Corona, California on 1st Sunday in May. We came 2nd in the 2010 race. Watch the youtube video of the final here.

What got me started was a reunion with cousins in the UK in August 2009, some of whom had VW vans and buses.
What I love most about my camper van is that it's like the dog I don't yet have: it introduces me to other people who are always nice (like you) AND it makes others (and me) smile! My THANKS page on my blog makes me smile very time I read it; the people who befriended my and my VW van on the road between OR and MA were wonderful. When I set off, I knew only three people I was going to visit. I could never have imagined all the new friends that were ahead.

I'd like this group to be about supporting each one of us with our dreams related to our VWs, building confidence for our travels, and giving us connections across the USA and around the world. I'd also like to gain more understanding of my VW and ways to keep it in tip top condition.
What I can bring to this group is my initiative for starting new things; my energy and enthusiasm, skills in social media, blog design, writing and photography; and my strange British sense of humour.

Something about me: I dreamed of coming to America yet never knew it would take 15 years for my green card (which allows me to live and work in USA). During all those years I flew back and forth countless times, living half a year in Massachusetts and half in England. Now I'm here, I'm ready to start my life over. At the age of 55 it's a bit of a challenge! My YesWeCan road trip in 2010 was to inspire me and others to follow our dreams.

I'm on Facebook as The YesWeCan CamperVan and Carole Brown
ALSO PLEASE JOIN ME HERE at the YesWeCan Journey blog

I can't wait to meet you all!

Views: 3354

Replies to This Discussion

Shona - your Westy has my dream engine conversion! Ahh, someday!

Yukon Girl, What's your real name? And are you on Facebook? 

I just sent all memebers a message about new group there. I need your Facebook name to join you up.

I'd like to know how you discovered this group; I'm always trying to find out how we connect. It's interesting to find out.

Cheers, Carole

Hi, I'm Bobbi, and my van is The Orange Blossom Special, a 1991 Syncro full camper. I bought it new in December of 1990 and we go cross-country once or twice a year in Spring and Fall. It has been tough ($) holding on to it all these years but it would have been tougher to live without it. It has been heavily modified by GoWesty. My biggest problem with it over the years was finding a shop to work on it since I live in Florida. Now that problem is solved! I simply store it in California near GoWesty!!!!  It is so much happier living in California where people appreciate it, and it isn't really too inconvenient to fly out there and pick it up when I have time off.  Mostly we go fishing and hiking and to music festivals. I say 'we' but I mean the van and I, since I travel alone. 

I am on facebook.

I would lover to hear from other members. I live in SW Central Florida on a little farm.

Welcome Bobbi,

What agreat idea storing your VW on the west coast. I drove mine all the way to MA from Oregon. Now about to drive from east coast to California. Are you traveling again this Fall? I'd love to meet up with you if you are.

I'm on Facebook as I mention in my introduction to this section. I'll search for you now.

Cheers, Carole

bobbi nan rinker said:

Hi, I'm Bobbi, and my van is The Orange Blossom Special, a 1991 Syncro full camper. I bought it new in December of 1990 and we go cross-country once or twice a year in Spring and Fall. It has been tough ($) holding on to it all these years but it would have been tougher to live without it. It has been heavily modified by GoWesty. My biggest problem with it over the years was finding a shop to work on it since I live in Florida. Now that problem is solved! I simply store it in California near GoWesty!!!!  It is so much happier living in California where people appreciate it, and it isn't really too inconvenient to fly out there and pick it up when I have time off.  Mostly we go fishing and hiking and to music festivals. I say 'we' but I mean the van and I, since I travel alone. 

I am on facebook.

I would lover to hear from other members. I live in SW Central Florida on a little farm.

Hi Bobbi,

What music festivals do you travel to?My husband and I usually travel to Bonnaroo and Wakarusa every year in our Eurovan. It would be nice to camp with other van owners.

Donna Seago

bobbi nan rinker said:

I am on facebook.

LEAF in North Carolina for many years. Also Merlefest, and Suwannee River Music Park which hosts Magnolia Fest and others. Also a cowboy music/dance/culture fest in New mexico....cant remember the name. Also a really special music camp in Mendocino this past August. I get to whichever festivals I can depending on the time that I have off. I would love to connect with others like you. This coming year I expect to attend western/california events since the camper is now stored in central California. Give me a recommendation!

e d thDonna Seago said:

Hi Bobbi,

What music festivals do you travel to?My husband and I usually travel to Bonnaroo and Wakarusa every year in our Eurovan. It would be nice to camp with other van owners.

Donna Seago

bobbi nan rinker said:

I am on facebook.

Bobbi, I also added you to the VW women group on Facebook today, so you can connect with others there too. We have several CA members on the FB group, but do not hear from them much. Maybe you can get them replying!

Cheers, 
Carole

You should definitely check out the Telluride Bluegrass Festival. I haven't been yet, but I plan to go one day! It just sounds wonderful. Outside Lands in San Francisco looks like a great music festival but it's not a camping fest. I just heard about this one yesterday and it's free -- Hardly Strictly Bluegrass -- but again it's S.F. in Golden Gate Park and not a camping fest, but it has a great artist lineup.

bobbi nan rinker said:

LEAF in North Carolina for many years. Also Merlefest, and Suwannee River Music Park which hosts Magnolia Fest and others. Also a cowboy music/dance/culture fest in New mexico....cant remember the name. Also a really special music camp in Mendocino this past August. I get to whichever festivals I can depending on the time that I have off. I would love to connect with others like you. This coming year I expect to attend western/california events since the camper is now stored in central California. Give me a recommendation!

e d thDonna Seago said:

Hi Bobbi,

Donna Seago

bobbi nan rinker said:

I am on facebook.

Hi, I'm Robin, & I am the new owner of a 1970 VW Westie which I have affectionately named Velma (just because she reminds of the Mystery Machine). I live in Alhambra, CA. Our biggest trek so far was the drive home after I picked her up from the PO in central CA. Looking forward to taking her out camping soon!

Hi, I'm Belinda

1. I own/drive a 1967 VW SO-42 Velvet Green Camper. Mobile office by week, family surf hut on the weekends.

2. First VW purchase year was in October of 2010. It was a 1964 13-Window. I really wanted a SO-42 but couldn't afford it then. So my boyfriend and I fixed up the 13 Window as if we were going to keep it forever. One day, our friend called us up and decided to sell one of his buses, and he offered it to us at a deal we couldn't pass by. It would be my one and only chance to own my dream bus. I sold my 64 and got the SO-42 a couple weeks ago.

3. Location including country

4. Where you have driven in your VW : From Southern California to Central California.

5. Where you have camped in your VW : El Capitan State Beach, Santa Monica, CA

6. Most fun moment(s) : Driving it home! And pretty much every day I've had it.

7. What got you started in the VW world : I needed a mobile office I could work out of at the beach in between clients, but couldn't see myself in a minivan. The VW busses are the cutest buses around, and so I decided to get one. Plus my boyfriend used to have one back in the 80's so he was all for it.

8. What you most love about having a VW : They're so cute, comfy and functional... plus my kitty loves riding around in it.

9. What you'd like from this group : I'd like to build confidence in traveling, camping, and taking some surf trips with my girlfriends in my bus and meeting some other camper gals.

10. What you'd like to offer to this group : If anyone needs some camping, traveling, or surf advice in the Central Cali to Southern California area, let me know. Big Sur is my favorite.

11. Your personal likes/dislikes or something else about you : I am a self-employed Web Designer and Graphic Artist. I started my own company about 2 years ago... www.breezecg.com. It gives me the freedom to surf and enjoy time with the people I care about. I love the ocean, nature, art, music, and have a great appreciation for all.

12. Are you on Facebook? Yes, you can find me https://www.facebook.com/PIKAKE though I don't post a lot of pictures of my bus on there. I also have a blog I update on occasion... http://pikaki.net/.

13. Anything else? Yes, so nice to meet all of you! It's awesome knowing I'm not the only female bus enthusiast out there!

Hello Belinda,

Thanks for your wonderful introduction and it is a pleasure to have you join us.

These days we have a very interactive group of VW women on our Facebook group, which is an invitation only group to ensure that our chat is kept confidential. If you'd like to send me a friend invitation on facebook, then I'll be happy to invite you to that group too.

Cheers, Carole

Sounds awesome! How do I find you on Facebook? Here's my page...  https://www.facebook.com/PIKAKE 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Big Blue's Driver.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service