VW Camper Family

A camping forum for VW bus and camper owners.

Hi, We're about ready to replace out pop top tent in T-Rex.  Any thoughts on acrylic vs canvas? Thanks!

Views: 1330

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Patrica,
Here are some pictures I took during the process of replacing my poptop canvas.

https://picasaweb.google.com/blakeheinlein/20110912VanagonCanvasRep...

I bought the acrylic version from GoWesty. The new canvas was a nice product overall. I chose it because I heard that it would be more durable over the long term. The acrylic is a little thicker than cotton, more water repellant, more resistant to fading. By reading the lists, everyone recommend buying the high quality replacements, don’t skimp on the cheep ones, you will regret it.

Hope this helps! -Blake

I  wanted to try the hemp one as well but I bought the cheapest cotton one from Bus Depot and it was terrible!.  My Rivi still has it's original acrylic tent. I love it!

Japhy Clifflemmy Campbell said:

I  wanted to try the hemp one as well but I bought the cheapest cotton one from Bus Depot and it was terrible!.  My Rivi still has it's original acrylic tent. I love it!

What was terrible about the canvas from Bus Depot?

Well my BD brand tent was a nice looking product but after installing and then reinstalling it just didn't fit my 81. I am fairly confident it was sewn incorrectly  which allowed it to fit the pop top or fit the opening (under what I would suggest was extreme tension!) but not stretch to allow attachment to both without ripping. Ultimately I removed an inch from each side of my rear retainer strip to gain enough give to allow attachment. Also the plastic beading on the bottom edge is way to hard and stiff even on a hot day. My 32 year old original westy tent beading was soft and supple and easily stretched plus the tents 4 corner seams fall easily to the corners of the top wheras the BD tent with its extra rear corner sections the seams don't really line up like original. BD went so close to get this tent to market I am not sure why they didn't do just a little bit more. If I ever do it again it will be a WESTFALIA ORIGINAL! I attached a pic of the installed BD tent which looks good after all the GRIEF! 300 staples to remove and I did it twice! Thankfully I bought a new air stapler to shoot the long T50 staples!

gerald

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Big Blue's Driver.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service