VW Camper Family

A camping forum for VW bus and camper owners.

Hey all - I have an update about this site that we probably need to address as a group. So I am looking for feedback and ideas (and action?) on how to move forward.

As you know, this site is powered by Ning. We own the URL, but they control all the content and the login info, accounts, etc.

Ning just announced a pretty big rate hike.

Up until now, the site has cost about $240/year to run. I've always paid it without issue as I felt like it was a small price to pay for the community to be together.

Ning is going to raise their rates to $588/year on October 1st. As you see, that's a huge increase, and one that can't be hidden from Mrs Big Blue's Driver so easily.

So, I'm open to ideas, but we don't have a ton of time to decide.

Option 1: abandon Ning and try to put some sort of forum in place like TheSamba.com has, which is free, but not so user friendly as Ning. Note: we own VWcamperfamily.com, so we can do anything we want with that URL.

Option 2: pony up the $$$ to stay on Ning. How? Fundraiser? Pass the virtual hat? Problem is they could potentially just keep raising the price each year. I'm fine with paying the $240 I have been paying, so we'd need to raise like $350. And then raise it again a year from now. and a year after that. and. and.

Sponsorship: One idea I had was to find a sponsor. Perhaps a business in the VW community would pay the $350 or even the full $588 to be a sponsor. I'd be happy to put their logo on the site and work with them on making it known to the VW world that they are covering the cost of the forum. Or maybe even a few sponsors at a lower rate?

Okay - your turn. Let me know what you think. Happy to hear all thoughts good and bad.

Thanks,

Brett

Views: 1288

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

My two cents:

I am all for abandoning Ning, not in favor of paying them that much money and absolutely against obtaining Sponsorship.

Isn't there anything else kinda like Ning? (Anything has gotta be better; I find Ning to be quite unwieldy)

One month to find a new "home" is too short of a notice. We will lose too many members in the switch. We should bite the bullet and raise the funds for this year. This will give us some time to decide the future. I'd suggest setting up a gofundme account to raise the full $588.00. We have enough members, it should be easy to raise this much, and I wouldn't be surprised if we raise enough to cover several years.

I agree with Scott & Karla.  If we pass the hat for this year, it would give us time to find another alternative.  I would be happy to contribute, and I'm sure I'm not alone.  Then we could put it up for discussion and find a seamless transfer.  If there is something else like The Samba that we could transition to right away without much fuss, I'm all for that too.  What ever it takes to keep this site up, as it really is a family! 

I agree  with the members above. I will kick in some money also.

If you add $1 or even less per Bus at campouts....it would pay for it, until you can find a better provider.  A thought.

I'm in.  To whom do I write the check?

I am willing to kick in some money.

I will kick in no problem. Where do I send a check Brett? I think if we kick in and take care of the first year that will give some time to figure something out.

Okay - I will set up a gofundme account. Not sure how that works, but that will get us through another year. I'll let you know when it's up.

It was very short notice. I just got the email last week and just read it a few days ago.

Thanks all!

You could also have folks contribute to a paypal account if that would be eaiser

Big Blue has a paypal account. Do you just need the email address to donate that way? If so. it's bigbluevw@gmail.com. I'll move whatever comes in that way over to the GoFundMe.

Kris Hansen said:

You could also have folks contribute to a paypal account if that would be eaiser

Here is the GoFundMe if anyone wants to donate:

https://www.gofundme.com/2nc3rydm

RSS

© 2024   Created by Big Blue's Driver.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service