VW Camper Family

A camping forum for VW bus and camper owners.

Hi Folks! I just joined about a week ago. My name is Charles and I live in Pacifica, CA. And Ruby is my 1971 Tin Top Westfalia. I've had Ruby for about a year now. She was given to me by a friend who had owned her for quite a few years and had driven her all across the country. Unfortunately he parked Ruby in his driveway and that's where she sat for 6 years before I got her. He's a fireman in San Francisco and he's married with 2 daughters, so that didn't leave him with a whole lot of time to spend with Ruby. But that's where I come in.

He found out that I was really into VW's, having owned quite a few in the past, and wanted to give Ruby to me. He loves Ruby and wanted her to go to someone that would take good care of her. So last year I took ownership of Ruby. I had her towed to Tassi's in Colma, CA to get her running and have the brakes checked. Once she was up and running I drove her for a few months, fixed a couple minor things and then decided I would get her in the garage before winter and really get into some of the deep repair work that Ruby needed.

Ruby is now parked in my garage with her engine pulled. I'm currently in the process of installing new battery tray sheet metal, cleaning and painting the engine compartment, servicing the CV joints and replacing the boots. After that I'll be doing some work on the motor: repainting all the engine tins, cleaning the engine block, installing an alternator and installing an oil sump pan with filter.

And I still have all new rubber to install and lots of work to do on the front of Ruby!

I'm bummed that I'm missing out on a lot of great camping trips and festivals this year, but by next summer Ruby should be ready to go and looking good!

I'll be posting updates on Ruby and you can also follow Ruby's progress on her Facebook page if you like: https://www.facebook.com/RubyTheBus?ref=hl

Peace!

Views: 117

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Charles,

My first Bus was a 70 tin top Westy, so I know how you are feeling. I now have a 70 pop up Westy, just had to buy it. I also have a 78 pop up, and an 83.5 pop up. It's good to see that you are taking such good care of such a wonderful Westy. Thanks !!!!! We don't need to let anymore of these wonders just slip away. I'm hoping to see it someday. Keep posting the progress you are making and include pictures too !!!! Welcome to the world of VW Campers. I also had a 71 pop up Westy after the 70.

Hi Gary,

It's been a while since I've owned an air cooled VW, but now that I have Ruby I'm really getting into it again. I'm going to do all I can to save Ruby from the clutches of rust and keep her going for many years to come. I'm not going to make the mistake of selling this one like I did with my '66 Deluxe Bus. I still regret that one. I'll post pictures of my progress with Ruby.

Gary Marrs said:

Hi Charles,

My first Bus was a 70 tin top Westy, so I know how you are feeling. I now have a 70 pop up Westy, just had to buy it. I also have a 78 pop up, and an 83.5 pop up. It's good to see that you are taking such good care of such a wonderful Westy. Thanks !!!!! We don't need to let anymore of these wonders just slip away. I'm hoping to see it someday. Keep posting the progress you are making and include pictures too !!!! Welcome to the world of VW Campers. I also had a 71 pop up Westy after the 70.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Big Blue's Driver.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service