VW Camper Family

A camping forum for VW bus and camper owners.

Thinking about buying a set for Doodle. Want to hear the pros and Cons. I like the agressive tread pattern. Thoughts? Road noise?

Views: 3035

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey, Kirk...  I have a set of BFG all terrains for sale...

They are 27x8.50 R14 LT.

I had them on my bus... They looked cool, and were nice on rough roads... But I live in the mountains, and lost precious power in the hills.  They were special order and cost over $650.oo    They have less than 500 miles on them, and are in perfect condition, stored in bags in my shop.

I will sell them for $300 or best offer!

Brian.

Definitely interested! Any idea on shipping? Ill check and see if that width will fit under the rear fender 

Thanks!

Swiftriver said:

Hey, Kirk...  I have a set of BFG all terrains for sale...

They are 27x8.50 R14 LT.

I had them on my bus... They looked cool, and were nice on rough roads... But I live in the mountains, and lost precious power in the hills.  They were special order and cost over $650.oo    They have less than 500 miles on them, and are in perfect condition, stored in bags in my shop.

I will sell them for $300 or best offer!

Brian.

Got mine put on today boy do they make a difference.  It will get the big test on the road tomorrow headed to the Texas VW Classic in 30 mph plus crosswinds.
Herman said something interesting this weekend. Herman says they are heavy. Anyone had issues with the added weight?

Let me clarify that I said they were heavy due to the fact that I removed the rears to install the mudflaps and I thought by lifting them they were heavy.

Now my wife drove part of the way home yesterday in the fun high winds we were having and she said she thought the tires made a big difference in how it handled.  She also thought they were smoother riding as well.

I really didn't notice a difference in the power performance of the bus with these tires compared to the Bridgestones.  On a 1000 mile trip this past weekend dealing with 30 mph + winds I am very pleased with the purchase and feel the investment has been worth it.  Crap I sound like a freaking commercial...  Oh and buy the dish soap its wonderful..

I have been running 235/75-LT 15's for over two years now. I have not noticed any "problems", I just haven't calculated my speedo difference yet, I just go with the flow. I can also pass on the freeway now, it's amazing what an extra 3"-4" diameter will do for the top speed of an '86 Syncro. So, the extra weight only affects my takeoff speed, slightly. Once I am rolling, the extra weight isn't that noticeable.

Kirk said:

Herman said something interesting this weekend. Herman says they are heavy. Anyone had issues with the added weight?

I think they look great on Hermans bus. I have some repairs to make first but I'm definately buying them.

Thanks Kirk for posting the pics. 

I have always liked the all terrain tire look.  The unfortunate thing is that cool functional 14" tires are getting fewer and farther between.  I figured that I should get the 14" ers that I like now with the prospect that I may not be able to get them a year from now, save a few bucks in the interuim instead of buying 15" wheels and tires at the same time.

Maybe next year buy the 15" rims and then in a couple of years mount the tires that I want.

By the way, you can tell by looking the lack of sidewall flex by looking.  The "D" rating of the stiffer sidewall is very noticable.

I bought them, and love them, incase anyone sees this. Added pics to my profile.

But you put the white letters on the inside!!!

You are going to love the way it handles besides they look good!!

I have seen alot of Syncro you tube videos that show clear pictures of the BFGs on many Syncros. Apparently they are very popular with the Vanagon crowd.

I love mine (91 syncro westfalia). They aren't noticably noisier at highway speeds than other tires. And they are great on mud,sand,wet grass (festivals!) and snow. Had them on 2 years and 30000 miles so far. I have larger wheels than is standard (from GoWesty). I doubt that I will ever buy anything else.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Big Blue's Driver.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service