VW Camper Family

A camping forum for VW bus and camper owners.

Since the "lantern thing" is going to come up, I might as well start it now.

Our campouts are typically lit via older style kerosene lanterns - the silent, less bright type. There are a number of reasons for this, but I'll let the discussion begin here.

Views: 1099

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

bring a tiki torch , to set the mood...they give out a nice pleasant light and transport easy. they can also repel bugs. you can also leave the stem at home, just take the top section.

for going to the bathroom, or looking for crap, use a LED head band light...they work wonderfully because you have light wherever you point your head. also really handy if the bus breaks down and you need an extra hand.

inside the tent i like to use battery powered X-mas lights.
Nice photo (IMG_2349.JPG) by the way!
I like the old school lanterns too. Finding a good storage spot for transport is key. If one spills under your bed you won't be happy. I keep mine in my Yakima roof box. Restored originals are allot better than the cheapo new ones. I like the hangers you guys made... I made a couple out of steel pipe, with a hook, they slide inside my Yakima roof rack crossbars. My shower curtain hanger works the same way, on the driver side.

I am surprised more buser's don't carry solar garden lamps. They are cheap and easy, and make camp look cool, and easily navigable at night.

You can't see the stars or hear the crickets with a hissing coleman in your camp.
Am wondering if any of my lantern buddies are willing to make me one or two of the pvc hanging thingies. I will reimburse for labor & materials, of course. I just don't seem to be able to find the time to get the materials and hack through the project. I'd like to hang my red globe Dietz at the next GTG. And then find a mate for it.

Jeff Soldout said:
Found another Dietz at the flea market today. The first one I found a month or so ago was a classic older red "Comet" model in great shape sans filler cap. This one cost $3 and is a newer forest green "Mars" model, also missing the filler cap but otherwise unused.

It seems a bit cheaper in quality overall than the Comet. It's about the same size, but unlike the Comet the mechanism to lift the globe is on the opposite side as the wick adjuster.

The seller told me he had two but one was purchased before I got there. Funny thing is there was a baggy with the one I bought that had two green filler funnels and two wicks. I think the two lanterns the guy had were intended as a pair.

I kind of prefer the smaller size lanterns, and the Comet has already provided enough light to eat by.

Any local sources for the filler cap? I got the filler cap for the Comet online.
We are the newest members of the lantern craze!!! John found one at some market in Arizona and put it up for sale at the caverns camp out. Check it out!
Our Very Own!

I have been quietly acquiring lanterns new and old. I picked up this Sun lantern last weekend for $13.50. It's got a lot of dirt, so maybe it's old. It looks like a miniaturized knock-off of a Dietz Little Wizard. The globe is marked with the "Sun" label and it works just fine, bonus points. I know nothing about this maker but perhaps if things stay slow enough, I can report back by the the next GTG. Anyway, I like its diminutive size and will be hanging it off my bus at the next GTG on the hangers that Peter gave me at Rio Vista. Who loves ya, baby! ;-)
I'm happy I found this thread. I've had a cheap Dietz knock off for a few years now. I fill it with this citronella oil that does a pretty good job of keeping the bugs away. On the last couple of overnights that I did this past summer I started relying more on the oil lamp for light than my loud, super bright coleman. It gives off much more pleasant light, is silent as you all know, and just adds atmosphere to the camp that really contributes to that feeling of simplicity that we're all after. :) The thread inspired me to order up a W.K. Kirkman no.2 Champion and a Dietz #8 Air Pilot from lanternnet.com. I've been converted!
Whoops! Make that W.T. Kirkman!

Greg Jannacone said:
I'm happy I found this thread. I've had a cheap Dietz knock off for a few years now. I fill it with this citronella oil that does a pretty good job of keeping the bugs away. On the last couple of overnights that I did this past summer I started relying more on the oil lamp for light than my loud, super bright coleman. It gives off much more pleasant light, is silent as you all know, and just adds atmosphere to the camp that really contributes to that feeling of simplicity that we're all after. :) The thread inspired me to order up a W.K. Kirkman no.2 Champion and a Dietz #8 Air Pilot from lanternnet.com. I've been converted!
When I saw Melissa's kero lanterns at Syncrofest, I was hooked. Total atmosphere. Now I have a 1950-70 Dietz Comet, a Dietz Vesta( Syracuse, NY) and a 1894 bicycle lantern (20Th. Century Mfg. Co). Pics to follow

Bill Langan said:
When I saw Melissa's kero lanterns at Syncrofest, I was hooked. Total atmosphere. Now I have a 1950-70 Dietz Comet, a Dietz Vesta( Syracuse, NY) and a 1894 bicycle lantern (20Th. Century Mfg. Co). Pics to follow
Attachments:
Great lanterns, Bill!  My lanterns at Syncrofest got a lot of attention. We need to intermix the breeds of bus more often!

Battery operated ones don't make any noise and come in adjustable lighting patterns (bright enough to read by down to "mood" lighting"). I swear even the lamp oil that doesn't smell, I can smell. Only oil light I have ever cared for was a super cool olive oil lamp I got years ago in Portland, OR and lost in one of my many moves. Unfortunately, this was a lamp, NOT a lantern and you can;t use olive oil in a kerosene lantern.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Big Blue's Driver.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service