Inspired by The Aircooled Pig
and Ludwig & Gertie's Adventures
, I decided to do a post about the stickers on Gus. Except that most of the bumper stickers I have for Gus aren't on there yet. I've got to repaint the rear bumper before I put them on. Or maybe I'll put them on the poptop...haven't decided yet.
I love bumper stickers. The kitschier (is that even a word?) the better. Bumper stickers are iconically associated with the VW bus - look at the animated Fillmore from the Cars movies, or Fillmore's real life inspiration, Bob Waldmire's VW bus
. For me I think it goes back to the days when my family and I traveled around in this:
We would get a new sticker any new place we went in the camper, and when I got older I got to put the stickers on. We could only put on stickers of places we had been in the camper. I still kind of think I may follow this with Gus, but I may not.
Anyhoo, here's a rundown of the past and future:
This is what is currenty on there. I really don't want to remove any of these, as they are a part of Gus's past. But I don't want to add any to the back window, as I already really can't see out the back window from the front.
Here's a closeup of what's there now.Lincoln Highway Association
- this will stay, as I think it's cool. And where I went to college (DeKalb, IL) had the Lincoln Highway running through it, plus I later lived near it in Oswego, IL.CH
told me this is for Switzerland, and Ryan's (previous owner before Joe) wife is from there. Makes sense.'00 S.V.C. '01 & '99 S.V.C. '00 -
No clue. Seems like a parking lot sticker for a college maybe? I did find a Skagit Valley College
in Washington, where Gus lived. My guess is it's from there.Rocky Mountain Lobos 1993 1994 Student Parking
- This one is interesting, as I found the high school
online, and they are in Ft. Collins, CO - about a hundred miles north of where Gus lives now.Wyoming Proud
- Again, I don't really know...but Ryan is from Wyoming originally. So it probably has something to do with that.
These two are harder to see (this is an old pic) - but the one on the left is another parking sticker. The one on the right I'm going to paint around when I paint the bumper. It says Central Surf
, Puerto Escondido (which is in Oaxaca, Mexico). I like to imagine that Gus was there at one time.
And now for the new ones:
(from top left in a clockwise-ish manner)Red Hot Chili Peppers
- I've had this sticker since the 90s. Never put it on anything. One of the best concerts I ever went to was a $10 show at my college. RHCP headlined, and two "up-and-coming" bands opened...Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins. Made the Top 100 concerts ever according to Rolling Stone.Tortugas Lie
- Seafood shack in the Outer Banks, North Carolina (where Gus lived for awhile)...fantastic seafood, cool decor. And it fit in with the turtle theme of the next few stickers...Grateful Dead/Terrapin Station/turtle stickers
- At one time Gus was going to be known as "Franklin" for a few reasons: He was going to be painted green, and I've always thought he looks like a turtle from the side. Franklin is a kid's cartoon about a turtle, and Franklin's Tower is a Grateful Dead song...another Grateful Dead song/album is Terrapin Station, and a terrapin is a turtle. I really like the one of the turtle with the split window bus on it's back. I'm not sure if all of these will make it on, but the bus/turtle one for sure will.National Freshwater Fishing Hall Of Fame
- Hayward, Wisconsin. A) Beacuse it's cheesy. B) Because I've been there. More than once. Be sure and climb up into the giant muskie's mouth for a photo op.Apple
stickers - Because Macs are cool. Although I probably won't be using these exact white ones...somewhere I have one of these that came with my first Mac in the 90's...What Would Ed Hochuli Do?
What wouldn't Ed Hochuli
do? The man's biceps are Schwarzenegger-esque. My friend got me this one year - we love
Ed Hochuli. Always a rare treat when you get to see a game he's officiating.Squirrel Nut Zippers
- Love love LOVE them. I got to see them a few years ago in Durham, North Carolina when they did a small reunion tour, and they played Ghost Of Stephen Foster
, (watch the video - it's great!) which is probably my favorite song by them (and maybe one of my favorite songs of all-time).Happy Camper
- There are a lot of these types of stickers floating around Colorado that echo the license plate design of the Centennial State. I thought this one was fitting.Save The Bays
- Cool little site -I've had this one for a few years now. Free stickers, and I got to specify what color I wanted...looks just like Gus!Big Blue Is A Friend Of Mine
- from one of the best VW blogs out there...VW Camper Family
- from the maker's of Big Blue...a very cool online community for VW campers.FB
- Folly Beach, SC. Not sure if this will make it on, but it's a cool place to visit near Charleston.Cake
- One of my all-time favorite bands.
I probably have a few more hiding somewhere, but these are the ones I could find.