VW Camper Family

A camping forum for VW bus and camper owners.

So here is my introduction, 
When our son was born we sold out 72 bus to pay for the extra baby gear etc.. It was pretty it was red it had to be buffed alot..  I said to my self when we sold it that when we got another bus it was going to be a little more artistic a little bit more of a project etc.. 
well this past month I got that next bus.. a 1970 with a little body damage and some 40 year old flat white/rust paint.. over the past couple of weeks I have been fighting the rust off with the grinder and few white rattle cans, then I opened up and did a little artwork on the tail end.. THEN we found a amazing yard sale that had ALL the 80's and 90's era bumper stickers I always wanted to have when I was in high school for the car I did not have.. Today we were driving around town and my wife and I shared an amazing idea.. Chalkboard bus.. I love the art work I have been doing to it but I have 3 kids.. They want to do art work too.. I want to let them.. So we ran over to Home Depot and picked some up and I have been prepping and painting away. . It has to set for 4 days before we can draw on it.. But I think it has been a big family hit.. I painted it two tone, blackboard bottom and the OEM white top but I am going to continue my artwork on the top and the nose... Overall blackboard bus is a BIG hit.. But I am looking for ideas to have a chalk bucket hanging outside the bus.. to allow the community to chip in or have something to say, where ever we are parked.. .. as long as its not vulgar I don't care.. I don't want to weld something to the bus.. I don't want to glue.. I thought about industrial Velcro.. anyone have ideas.. ? 

-Joshua

“A Josh of all Trades”


1970 VW 1600CC “Maye”


 


online:


business: http://www.recordingourhistory.com – Personal Historian – Life Histories


business: http://www.consciouscomputers.net – Mobile Computer Repair, Technology Advice & Website Design in the
Portland Metro Area


project: http://www.portlanddads.info – Portland Dads: Have you checked out the website
that's all about you? This site covers everything from cool things to do with
kids to parenting styles—and everything in-between. Be sure to check out
Portland Dads on Facebook, too!


project: http://www.yardsharing.org – Share your yard for a food producing garden


Personal Blog http://www.joshuapatterson.info 

Views: 523

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You could make use of your jack points: with a little simple wood working or bent aluminum from the hardware store, you could make a hanger for a bucket, or a post for a table. People use their jack points for all kinds of things (awning posts, tiki torch holders, flagship flags, bus steps, post tables), and you have jack points on both sides of the bus, too. I love to have the neighbor's kids draw on my driveway! We did a community chalk art project with school kids and at the Social Sciences building (more commonly called "The Death Star") at UC Davis. My project mate and I took over the austere post-modern entry area to the building and and let the public recontextualize the concrete walkways. It was great. If you put out a bunch of colorful, cheap, artist's chalk pastels, they will be more vibrant, for example, you get purple! and green! vs. lavender and mint; the images are more durable (pressure wash or respray to remove the ghost images left after erasing); and pastels are more attractive to the passing artists of all ages and skill level; you never know who will make an ephemeral masterpiece on your bus--maybe a five year old! Where are you located? Sorry, I get a little excited about art, especially art for the people; right on!
Those are great Idea's I had never thought about the jack stands A color pallet or something of that effect would be great... Were in Portland Oregon..

Shari G-E said:
You could make use of your jack points: with a little simple wood working or bent aluminum from the hardware store, you could make a hanger for a bucket, or a post for a table. People use their jack points for all kinds of things (awning posts, tiki torch holders, flagship flags, bus steps, post tables), and you have jack points on both sides of the bus, too. I love to have the neighbor's kids draw on my driveway! We did a community chalk art project with school kids and at the Social Sciences building (more commonly called "The Death Star") at UC Davis. My project mate and I took over the austere post-modern entry area to the building and and let the public recontextualize the concrete walkways. It was great. If you put out a bunch of colorful, cheap, artist's chalk pastels, they will be more vibrant, for example, you get purple! and green! vs. lavender and mint; the images are more durable (pressure wash or respray to remove the ghost images left after erasing); and pastels are more attractive to the passing artists of all ages and skill level; you never know who will make an ephemeral masterpiece on your bus--maybe a five year old! Where are you located? Sorry, I get a little excited about art, especially art for the people; right on!
I love all these Idea's!!! Thanks everyone

Here are some pics from today from the new chalkboard paint..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skylermoon/sets/72157624303581410/

I also saw that RustOleium also makes a "Dry Erase" paint I thought about doing the top of the bus a white Dry Erase.. They make magnetic pens for that..
Nice work - looks like great fun for the kids.

You could easily make one of these lantern hangers for a bucket. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=306877&highlig...

FWIW you should also move that fuel filter out of the engine compartment.
that's very cool...we are replacing the inside sliding door panel and painting it with chalk board paint too! our 2 kids love the chalkboard we made out of our lower kitchen cabinet so we thought we'd do the same for road trips! love to see the end result!
to where? and why?

busboss said:
Nice work - looks like great fun for the kids.

You could easily make one of these lantern hangers for a bucket. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=306877&highlig...

FWIW you should also move that fuel filter out of the engine compartment.
You should definitely move it anywhere out of your engine compartment (perhaps under the tin). Any leaks or faults in the current location and your bus will catch fire pretty darn quick!

Joshua Patterson said:
to where? and why?

busboss said:
Nice work - looks like great fun for the kids.

You could easily make one of these lantern hangers for a bucket. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=306877&highlig...

FWIW you should also move that fuel filter out of the engine compartment.
I thought about using Chalkboard paint on my Van too! But I never ended up going with it... Do they Make different colors?? Or just the basic black or green?

Dry erase board paint sounds awesome too! I didn't know it existed! Thanks for sharing :)

Joshua Patterson said:
I love all these Idea's!!! Thanks everyone

Here are some pics from today from the new chalkboard paint..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skylermoon/sets/72157624303581410/

I also saw that RustOleium also makes a "Dry Erase" paint I thought about doing the top of the bus a white Dry Erase.. They make magnetic pens for that..
here is a link to what I used.. You can buy it at home depot... http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=168 I choose black because I wanted the tuxedo look...

They also make glow in the dark paint which I am trying to figure out what to do with.. Something on the nose I think..

Laura Anne said:
I thought about using Chalkboard paint on my Van too! But I never ended up going with it... Do they Make different colors?? Or just the basic black or green?

Dry erase board paint sounds awesome too! I didn't know it existed! Thanks for sharing :)

Joshua Patterson said:
I love all these Idea's!!! Thanks everyone

Here are some pics from today from the new chalkboard paint..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skylermoon/sets/72157624303581410/

I also saw that RustOleium also makes a "Dry Erase" paint I thought about doing the top of the bus a white Dry Erase.. They make magnetic pens for that..

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2021   Created by Big Blue's Driver.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service