VW Camper Family

A camping forum for VW bus and camper owners.

Since today was my 9/80 friday off from work, and I needed to get my westy fix, I took a day trip. I drove through the Santa Cruz mountains (Boulder Creek, Ben Lomand, and Felton) and went to Van Cafe to check out some 15" Rhein wheels. After spending 5 minutes at Van Cafe, I headed to the light house on West Cliff Drive in Santa Cruz to check out the surfers, then headed home via highway 1.

Views: 518

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm sorry, Frank, but the 1300 I did to Death Valley & back was quite enough! I hope you have a marvelous trip! Looking forward to your trip report.

Frank Alvarado said:
Stockton to Lake Havasu, 550 mile road trip today.
I drove mine to work.
You are all lucky....I am waiting for my 71 Riviera to arrive as it is about to be transported from CA to MA. It is rare to see a mint bus in the EAST...well she is not mint yet....but she is 100% rust free. I can't for her to get here.
TGIF............and glad to be part of the family!!
I drove my bus over to the Haight-Ashbury district in San Francisco to join up with Peter Alau.

Peter was there because his bus is a movie star!. I will let him tell that story.

Afterward, we went back to Peter's house and watched cartoons and drank chocolate milk.
I don't believe the chocolate milk thing at all.

Joe Ehrlich said:
I drove my bus over to the Haight-Ashbury district in San Francisco to join up with Peter Alau.

Peter was there because his bus is a movie star!. I will let him tell that story.

Afterward, we went back to Peter's house and watched cartoons and drank chocolate milk.
Today (Saturday) we are headed to Reno, staying the night at a hotel and then Sunday we are going snowshoeing somewhere around Truckee. Hopefully we make it back down the mountain to Sacramento before the big set of storms really hit. Happy weekend everyone. I'll try to take some pictures.
Going to do some recycling and pick up some beer and fire wood before the football games start.
Complete the last leg of our 1371 mile road/camping trip. The Westy is now resting in the driveway. Back to a crazy work schedule for several weeks, then take some time off for more camping. :)
To Silver Lake VW Service. I'm just keeping it in good shape.
OK - I'm a little slow - this was a few weeks ago. Even though we didn't do any camping on this trip, the Westy was the #1 choice for holiday travel to SD (other choices A6 or Suburban). Great trip. Love this comment/compliment from my mother in-law as she sat in the back seat as we were heading out to Old Town for a dinner: "This is like sitting on the top floor of an observation car when you ride a train across country - you can see everywhere!"...exactly. Happy to report that the GW2.5 & new 5sp tranny kicked butt on the Grapevine. We actually passed other cars/vans/trucks going uphill!
Today I took my van out from hiding under the carport and we went to Cosumnes River Preserve to soak up some much-needed sunshine and do some bird-watching. There were thousands of Sand Hill Cranes, a huge flock nearly blackening the sky! It was a lovely field trip which also included a bit of wine tasting in Clarksburg on the way home. First run in the van since I got back from Death Valley. And the first time the sun has come out, too! Rain again on Monday. :-(
I took a drive in the rain and cold today toward Manteca. Blew pretty good, I hate those radials...I also tried out the heater, Mr. Buddy and made some stabilizers for it so it wouldn't move around. Fired it up, set it on low, got toasty and drove it with the window cracked a bit. Worked very well. I thank you all for your comments about cold camping. I think I am set....until something else comes up, but I've got the wealth of info from the VW Camper Family. Thanks gang.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Big Blue's Driver.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service